News & Blog

Autumn Budget 2017

Autumn Budget 2017 today was pretty uneventful. The main news was that Stamp duty for 1st time buyers would be abolished with immediate effect for the first £300,000 of any property. The tax free personal allowance will increase to £11,850 from April 2018, with the 40% tax bracket increasing to £46,350. The Living wage will also increase from £7.50 to £8.83 in April 2018.

CIS gross status

CIS gross status – If you are currently being deducted 20% CIS tax by your contractors, but your annual turnover after materials is above £30,000 and you are up to date tax wise, we can apply for you to be paid gross. This way you will pay tax at the end of the year and improve your cash flow during the year. Ask PMC Partnership if you wish to apply for gross status.

Childcare vouchers

Childcare vouchers. If you are a working parent, requiring childcare, you may claim up to £55 per week in childcare vouchers. The money is taken off your GROSS salary and paid by your employer to the childcare provider, this way saving both you and your employer tax and National Insurance. Please check if you should be claiming by visiting

Marriage Tax Allowance (MTA)

If you are married, remember to use your Married Tax Allowance (MTA) ! If your spouse is not using all their annual tax allowance and you are a basic rate tax payer (not higher rate) then you can transfer up to £1150 of their allowance to you, saving £230 in tax every year. If this applies to you then apply at . If successful then inform PMC and we will happily apply this credit to your tax return.

Workplace pensions 2018

Workplace pensions 2018 – remember that from April 2018 the minimum contributions to your workplace pension increases from 1% to 2%. Check your staging date at the pensions regulator website if you have not already done so, it is against the law not to have a scheme in place if you are an employer. Contact PMC Partnership for further advice.

Workplace Pensions. Please remember it is now the law to offer all your employees a workplace pension. You can check the date your company has to comply by, simply by going to the pension regulators website, then get in touch with PMC Partnership to help you set the pension up accurately and swiftly.

Accountants in Bexley asks Limited or Sole trader ?

Accountants in Bexley, PMC Partnership, asks which is best in 2017 tax wise, being self employed or being Limited ? Since the 2017 Dividend changes clients are asking if it is better to be a sole trader now ? Take this example if you are earning £30,000 in 2017. Being self employed your tax bill will be £3800 and National Insurance £2120, making a combined liability of £5920 or approximately 20% of income. If you are Limited you would be paid [...]